Modular Rail Modelling in New Zealand

Sunday, November 14, 2010

New and Improved Grass

I've started working on the modules again, and below you can see some pictures of my progress. The most significant thing I did was to add some additional colour to the grass. When I originally applied the static grass I only used one colour. This made the grass look quite uniform and unrealistic, and I wasn't really happy with it. My solution was to use the airbrush to add in various shades of brown and green, and I think it quite successfully adds depth and realism to the grass. The real impression isn't quite captured in these photos (I need a better camera!) but you get the idea. I think I'll use this technique next time too.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The other work I've done is to weather the buildings a little. I used an oil wash, some Tamiya rust coloured weathering powder, and a silver pencil to highlight some of the details. I also added in some rather randomly placed signals from the Trackgang range that I bought from Russell at the Convention and painted up. I'm sure the rivet counters will take me to task on the placement, but I think they do the job of adding a bit of necessary detail to the scenes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

What's next? I'm almost done with these three modules, so over my Christmas leave I'm going to start on the bench work for the next set of modules. I'm hoping to build another five sections and get this to the stage where I can run some trains, and then tackle the scenery.

2 comments:

  1. Comming along nicely. Just for future reference, what are you using for balast?(see, since you are leading the pack, you get to choose the basic ballast colour for Freemo NZ :v)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I used Woodland Scenic Fine Grey ballast for these. Plus it's been dirtied up a bit with the airbrush and a highly diluted rusty brown colour.

    ReplyDelete